Friday, March 6, 2015

A Baby Born with No Chance



  I don't know why God did this to me. He has taken nearly everything that belongs to me, and I am so afraid because I don't know where it will stop. Perhaps my grandmother will be next, but she says no, she is too old to die of this sickness, she will die of something else.

  "And me?" I hardly dared to ask such a question. Fright was fluttering in my throat like a butterfly.

  Grandmother Bibi shook her head. "Your mama and Baba were not ill when you were born; there were healthy and strong. But by the time they were waiting for Nyota to be born, they were already very sick themselves. So the baby had no chance."

  "No chance?"

  "No. That baby had no chance to live."

  I stared into pile of chippings that my grandmother had made. I have heard of a baby who was born with no sight. I have even heard of a baby born with no arms. But I have never heard of a baby born with no chance. And this was a new thing for me to think about; to live or to die, to be sick or healthy was all a matter of chance? Could this be true?

The Girl Who Saw Lions, P61~62
Berlie Dorherty
ISBN 978-1-59643-377-9






No comments :

Post a Comment