Sunday, September 27, 2015

An Hour




  Wolf looks and Dog looks, too.

  There's no kitty to be seen.


  "Where is she?" Dog asks.

  "There ... or there." Wolf sounds vague.

  "She'll turn up.

  Now and then she goes off ...

  For an hour or so."


  "An hour!" Dog yelps.

  "I can't stay a whole hour!

  What made you think I could?

  I don't have time.

  My basket waits for me."


  "An hour's no time at all," says Wolf.

  "The kitty might not come for a day.

  Once she was gone a whole week.

  I thought I was rid of her.

  But I was wrong.

  Out of the blue she came back.

  To my forest!

  As if it was hers.

  There's one hill.

  And on that hill stands one forest.

  And I live in that forest.

  There's no room for more."


Wolf and Dog, P58-59
by Sylvia Vanden Heede, illustrated by Marije Tolman
translated by Bill Nagelkerke
ISBN 978-1-877579-38-7




No comments :

Post a Comment