Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Possibility of Pain is Where Love Stems From




  'Listen,' I found myself saying, 'he is going to have to find his own way, to make his own mistakes.'

  'We need to find out who did that to him, Andrew. That's what we need to do. People can't just go around inflicting violence on human beings like that. They just can't do that. What ethical code do you live by where you can sound so indifferent about it?'

  What could I say? 'I'm sorry. I'm not indifferent. I care for him, of course I do.' And the terrifying thing, the absolutely awful fact I had to face, was that I was right. I did care. The warning had failed, you see. Indeed, it had had the opposite effect.

  That's what starts to happen, when you know it is possible for you to feel pain you have no control over. You become vulnerable. Because the possibility of pain is where love stems from. And that, for me, was very bad news indeed.

The Humans, P165
Matt Haig
ISBN 978-0-85786-876-3




No comments :

Post a Comment