Sunday, November 15, 2015

Everything Here was a Test




  The truth is, I was quite terrified. My heart had begun racing for no obvious reason. My palms were sweating. Something about the room, and its proportions, coupled with so much contact with this irrational species, was setting me off. Everything here was a test.

  If you failed one test, there was a test to see why. I suppose they loved tests so much because they believed in free will.

  Ha!

  Humans, I was discovering, believed they were in control of their won lives, and so they were in awe of questions and tests, as these made them feel like they had a certain mastery over other people, who had failed in their choices, and who had not worked hard enough on the right answers. And by the end of the last failed test many were sat, as I was soon sat, in mental hospital, swallowing a mind-blanking pill called diazepam, and placed in another empty room full of right angles. Only this time, I was also inhaling the distressing scent of the hydrogen chloride they used to annihilate bacteria.

The Humans, P31
Matt Haig
ISBN 978-0-85786-876-3




No comments :

Post a Comment