Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Spontaneous Party




  That last evening, there was a spontaneous party outside the cafe, brought on, I think, by relief that the film was finished, but also by a genuine friendship that had grown up between ourselves and the film crew. The children, some still in costume, were cavorting to raucous music with a thunderous pulsating beat, which the Sound Engineer had contrived to blast all around village.

  The Mayor, determined to show them that there was other kind of music, went off to fetch his pipes. Someone pulled the plug on the amplifier and the Mayor struck up a country dance. It wasn't long before the film crew, under Madame D'Arblay's instructions, were dancing our way. They were very good at it, Niki in particular. But then, of course, we had to return the compliment and I found myself dancing with Eva, the red-headed Wardrobe Mistress, who proceeded to teach me to dance their way. I think she's taken a bit of a shine to me. I swear I moved parts of me I never even knew I had and I'm afraid I made a bit of spectacle of myself. I told her of my passion for the Director's purple fedora and she laughed and ruffled my hair - no one had done that to me since I was a boy.

The Dancing Bear, P51-53
Michael Morpurgo, illustrated by Christian Birmingham
ISBN 978-0-00-674511-2




No comments :

Post a Comment