Sunday, August 13, 2017

Heaven is a Place where Nothing Ever Happens




Heaven is a Place where Nothing Ever Happens

  I was back at home, on Vonnadoria, and it was exactly how it had always been. And I was exactly how I had always been, among them, the hosts, feeling no pain and no fear.

  Our beautiful, warless world, where I could be entranced by the purest mathematics for all eternity.

  Any human who arrived here, gazing at our violet landscapes, might well have believed they had entered Heaven.

  But what happened in Heaven?

  What did you do there?

  After a while, didn't you crave flaws? Love and lust and misunderstandings, and maybe even a little violence to liven things up? Didn't light need shade? Didn't it? Maybe it didn't. Maybe I was missing the point. Yes, to exist with an absence of pain. Yes, maybe that was the only aim you needed in life. It certainly had been, but what happened if you'd never required that aim because you were born after that goal had been met? I was younger than the hosts. I did not share their appreciation of just how lucky I was. Not anymore. Not even in a dream.

The Humans, P174
Matt Haig
ISBN 978-0-85786-876-3




No comments :

Post a Comment