Saturday, February 20, 2016

Because of Their Language



  'Yeah, see? Everybody is looking for you because you've ruined everything. People are dying and it's all your fault. You're dangerous. You might not mean to be, but you are. You don't belong here. You aren't one of us. It's better if you leave, Lorali. For Rory, for everyone. I've come to take you home.'

  'This is my home!' I argue back. Real tears are coming now. Weakness. Where is all this water on my face coming from? I sniff. How does he know all this? 'You're lying!'

  'I wish I was.'

  'Stop it!' I scream. I cover my ears. I wish Rory were here. Just so I could hear the words come from his mouth for myself. Even though they would kill me. My mother always told me that Walkers are cowards. That they hide behind words. That they hide behind others. That they are an untrustworthy species because of their language. Where we use our bodies, they use words. But I thought my mother was trying to scare me and to kill my interest in them. Or perhaps I was stupid enough to think Rory wasn't the same as everybody else.

  ……

Lorali, P217
Laura Dockrill
ISBN 978-1-4714-0422-1




No comments :

Post a Comment