Saturday, February 27, 2016

Your Pride is Knocked



  'Egor, the boy needs to know how to fight,' Momo says defensively.

  'Fight? Why?' Egors tuts. You can see he hates the word. He is a tender person. I realise.

  'In case we go into battle.'

  'And in that case, we can do the fighting.'

  'Just some basics. For protection.'

  'He knows the basics. He's got the basics. His mind. His experience. He shouldn't even need to reach for a weapon. Remember, a weapon is last -'

  'Last resort. I know, I know. I just wanted to, you know ... educate.'

  'You mean, behave like a little boy. Go read him one of your poems instead Momo. Do something productive.'

  Momo does as he is told. I've noticed the power Egor has abroad. Momo sighs deeply as he puts the gun in his hands down. I recognise his embarrassment. I have felt like that a million times before, when you think you are more responsible or cool than you are. Your pride is knocked. Bit by bit I am seeing bits of myself in all of the Ablegares and it kind of feels good to relate.

Lorali, P306-307
Laura Dockrill
ISBN 978-1-4714-0422-1




No comments :

Post a Comment