Saturday, January 28, 2017

You Say That, But I'm Not



  "Oh, Ally . . . you're to smart for this. School is too important to joke about. I don't you working long hours on your feet for a bunch of tips like me. I want more for you. And you're so smart. Good at math. A gifted artist. Don't you think it's time to stop clowning around?"

  "I'm not smart. You say that, but I'm not."

  "Now, we know that isn't true. You could stand to work a little harder, though."

  I'm so tired of this conversation. We've had it a hundred times, even though my third-grade teacher told her that I might just be slow, that my mum shouldn't expect too much of me. My mom's eyes got all wide and shinny when she heard that, and I felt sad and embarrassed for her having to be my mom.

  But my mother's never bought what the teacher said. I sometimes wish she would, but most of the times I'm grateful that she hasn't.

Fish in a Tree, P27-28
Lynda Mullaly Hunt
ISBN 978-0-399-16259-6




No comments :

Post a Comment