Saturday, February 24, 2018

All of the Anger is Gone



  I think of all the nights when Lily failed to pee on our bedtime walks. How much stress this would cause me. How difficult it was on those nights to fall asleep, to stay asleep, frustrated that I might have to take her to the yard in the darkness of predawn. So many arguments this caused between us. I always thought I knew better when it came to her needing to pee, but until this night she had never once actually wet the bed. And now that she has, we just lie there in the accident and the minutes on the clock keep changing and the love I have for her keeps growing and we both keep drawing breath.

  What was so horrible about it?

  Why had I always had been so angry?

  What was with my need to be right? To win every argument with her? To outstubborn a dog?

  And just like that, all of the anger is gone. Released, like the empty of a bladder, into soft cotton sheets as we lie in the wetness.

Lily and the Octopus, P133
Steven Rowley
ISBN 978-1-5011-2622-2




No comments :

Post a Comment