Thursday, December 21, 2017

A Fox



  A fox. A real live red fox, tiny, with a small patch of darker fur just above its left front leg. Like a beauty spot.

  Its eyes are so kind I just about to burst. That same look in another human's eyes, and my soul would be theirs for sure.

  

  I don't want it to run off. I want it to stay here forever. I want it to watch over the tent, like a sphinx, a bodyguard, a dragon.

  With the fox out front, the outcasts' tent is transformed into tent of miracles.

  

  I draws near. One step, two.

  I don't have any bread, fox. But come closer anyway. Come.

  Three steps, four.

  

  It's within a few inches of my fingertips. With its ears pricked, it looks like it's waiting for me to tell a joke.

Jane, the fox and me, P78-79
by Fanny Britt, illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault
ISBN 978-1-55498-360-5




No comments :

Post a Comment