Saturday, May 9, 2015

Don't Have A Right to go and Think Anything Odd



  “Have I mentioned today that you should go to college?” Colin asked.

  Hassan rolled his eyes. "Right, I know. I mean, just look where academic excellence got you."

  Colin couldn’t think of a comeback. "Well, but you should this year. You can't just not go forever. You don't even have to register until July fifteenth." (Colin had looked this up.)

  "I actually can not go forever. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I like sitting around on my ass, watching TV, and getting fatter. It's my life's work, Singleton. That's why I love road trips, dude. It’s like doing something without actually doing anything. Anyway, my dad didn't go to college, and he's rich as balls.”

  Colin wondered just how rich balls were, but only said, "Right, but your dad doesn't sit on his ass, either. He works, like, a hundred hours a week."

  "True. True. And it's all thanks to him that I don't have to go to work or college."

  Colin had no response to that. But he just didn't get Hassan's apathy. What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? How very odd, to believe God gave you life, and yet not think that life asks more of you than watching TV.

  Although then again, when you have just gone on a road trip to escape the memory of your nineteenth Katherine and are traipsing through south-central Tennessee on your way to see the grave of a dead Austro-Hungarian Archduke, maybe you don't have a right to go and think anything odd.

An Abundance of Katherines, P32-33
John Green
ISBN 978-0-14-241070-7




No comments :

Post a Comment